Financial Aid Steps
- Apply for Admission to Southeast Tech. You must be accepted for admission to Southeast Tech before the Financial Aid Office can award financial aid. You must also pay your $75 non-refundable deposit to be eligible.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal aid. There are several ways to complete the FAFSA. Make sure you use Southeast Tech’s Title IV school code – 008285. There are no fees required in the application process regardless of which method you choose. The FAFSA is the form that is used to calculate your financial aid eligibility. You may submit your FAFSA on the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for you and one for your parent before completing the FAFSA on the web. These may be applied for at www.pin.ed.gov. A paper FAFSA is available from your high school guidance counselor or from the Financial Aid Office at Southeast Tech. The Renewal FAFSA on the web is available for returning students who want to reapply for financial aid. If you are eligible to file a renewal FAFSA, email reminders will be sent to you in November and February by the Department of Education.
- Prepare to submit your application as soon as possible after your taxes have been completed. Be aware of deadlines. Some funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan to prepare your federal income tax early.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) within two weeks after you submit your FAFSA. If you have not received your SAR within two weeks, check your application status at 800.433.3243. Review your SAR and if corrections need to be made, contact the financial aid office for further instructions. If there are no corrections to be made, keep the report for your records. The report is automatically transmitted electronically to Southeast Tech if you have listed the school code 008285 on the FAFSA.
- Southeast Tech may need to request additional information or forms. Make sure you respond promptly to avoid delays in receiving your financial aid. One out of three applications is selected for review by the Department of Education in a process called Verification. If your application is selected, don’t be alarmed. The process may require you to provide Southeast Tech with copies of your and your parents' signed tax return transcripts , W-2 forms (in some cases), and a verification worksheet. Comply with the request promptly. Southeast Tech cannot award financial aid until verification is complete.
- After Southeast Tech has processed your application, you will receive an award letter that explains the financial aid for which you qualify. Review your award letter carefully and make sure you understand the terms of the awards being offered. Remember to return a signed copy of your award letter to the Financial Aid Office. If you intend to take out loans, additional information will need to be completed. Your award letter will notify you of the loans for which you qualify and the amount you are eligible to borrow. The award letter must be completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office.
- All borrowers attending Southeast Tech must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling online at http://www.studentloans.gov. This is required even if students have previously completed Entrance Counseling at a different institution.
- If you will have excess financial aid after all your institutional costs are paid in full, you may be able to charge your books purchased at the Southeast Tech Bookstore. You may contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible for this option.
- If a student receives additional educational assistance (i.e. scholarships, Vocational Rehabilitation, Veteran’s Benefits, WIA, etc.) it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office. Southeast Tech reserves the right to adjust financial aid based on award changes or additional information received by the Financial Aid Office.
General Information: 605.367.7624 • Toll Free: 800.247.0789 • 2320 N Career Ave • Sioux Falls, SD 57107