Moving Out – End of Year
- Pre-Clean Before You Move. STI Housing staff encourages residents to clean their apartments a week or two before they move out. This means much less garbage to deal with during move-out week. We also encourage residents to take home any seasonal clothing (such as winter coats, boots, etc.) they no longer need before they move out. A couple trips home before move-out week really lightens the load!
- Consider Summer Storage. If a resident plans on returning to STI Housing, they may want to consider summer storage options. Sioux Falls offers a variety of self-storage options in close proximity to the STI Housing complex. Many self-storage places take reservations, so it’s a good idea to call 30 days in advance of move-out week to make sure you can reserve a unit.
- Divide and Conquer. While each resident is responsible for cleaning their bedrooms, it is the responsibility of all the residents in the apartment to ensure that the bathrooms, living room, kitchen and kitchen appliances are clean. Team up with your roommates and decide who is going to be responsible for cleaning each common area. Make sure each area has been cleaned before leaving.
- Bring Moving Supplies. It is easier to pack a car with regularly shaped objects – boxes or large Rubbermaid bins – as opposed to black plastic trash bags, grocery bags and loose items. So bring packing boxes, rolls of packing tape, a roll of paper towels, cleaning supplies, etc.
- Final Sweep. When the apartment is completely empty, do one last drawer and cupboard check. Check the bathrooms for any toiletries that may have been left behind. Sweep out the bathrooms and kitchens and mop off any obvious grunge.
- During the final week of the spring semester, housing staff will post available check-out times in the Link. Residents vacating must sign up for a checkout time to complete the checkout process.
- Housing Staff will arrange for large commercial dumpsters to be placed on the north and south ends of the STI Housing complex. All trash and unwanted furniture can be placed in these dumpsters. Due to the presence of heavy metals and other toxic elements, electronic devices cannot be placed in these dumpsters. Disposal of electronic items must be arranged by the vacating resident.
- Before their checkout time, vacating residents must complete the Cleaning Sheet. It is also important that the vacating resident completes a Change of Address form at a local Post Office to forward any incoming mail to their new place of residence.
- Once the checkout process has been completed, staff will begin the process of releasing the vacating resident’s deposit. This process takes approximately 30 days from the time the resident vacates the STI Housing complex. Residents returning to the housing complex the following fall semester will not receive their housing deposit. Instead, it will be held by Southeast Tech and used as the deposit for the following academic year.
- Residents who do not complete the checkout process explained above in the time frame established by housing staff will forfeit their damage deposit. All residents will receive instructions regarding the checkout process through memos and emails to their Southeast Tech email account as the end of the school year approaches.
General Information: 605.367.7624 • Toll Free: 800.247.0789 • 2320 N Career Ave • Sioux Falls, SD 57107