Dear Southeast Technical College Students,
We are eager to resume on-campus, hands-on learning this fall, and welcome you to campus! The health and safety of our students and employees is of utmost importance during this global pandemic, and, as a result, we have implemented several new procedures. These efforts will require the full cooperation of our leadership, faculty, staff and students.
Southeast Tech will continue to update our procedures based on the guidelines we receive from federal, state, and local health officials.
- Face Masks Required – Southeast Tech is a face mask-required institution, and we are asking all faculty, staff, and students to wear face masks to help us reduce the potential spread of the coronavirus on campus. Because of this requirement, we will provide a washable cloth mask for new students at JumpStart and returning students on their first day of class. Additional masks are available for purchase through the bookstore.
- Social Distance When Possible – Social Distancing of six feet or more is required whenever possible. Here are a few examples of when social distancing should be used:
- At a meeting or study group, use technology when possible and appropriate.
- In common areas such as a lobby, study area, commons, restroom, conference room, etc., use the social distancing rule.
- Disinfect Items – Disinfect printers and other equipment after every use. Wash hands with soap/water or sanitizer. Avoid using items belonging to others such as books, tools, etc.
In the Classroom
- Classes Begin August 24 – Fall classes will start as scheduled on August 24, 2020.
- Jumpstart Orientation is August 14-21 – Your JumpStart Orientation date and/or time most likely has changed! Please review your most recent student schedule, and you can locate it on MyTech. Please wear a face mask to your JumpStart.
- Alternating Attendance for Select Classes – To allow for social distancing, on-campus courses may split on-campus attendance days between two or more groups with online instruction offered for non-campus days. Each instructor will provide details to their students.
- Social Distancing in Class – On-campus lecture classes and labs will require social distancing when possible. Face masks will still be required at all times during class.
- Additional Lab Safety Rules – Students will receive hands-on training in a laboratory setting. All students are required to wear face masks during lab sessions. Labs will utilize social distancing where possible. Shared tools and equipment will need to be disinfected between usage. Each instructor will provide details to their students.
- Shortened Time on Campus – Some lecture classes and labs may end instruction by Thanksgiving with the remainder of the class held online. Each instructor will provide details to their students.
Student Personal Health Expectations
Students, along with faculty and staff, are asked to carefully monitor their symptoms and use common-sense hygiene including hand washing, sneezing into a tissue or elbow, and not touching their faces with unwashed hands. More info can be found on Southeast Tech’s Return to Campus webpage.
If You Are Sick or Have Been Exposed to the Virus
If you exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 such as a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, loss of smell or taste, sore throat, headache, diarrhea, chills or muscle aches, have other health concerns or if you believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, do not return to campus. If on campus, leave immediately. Call your healthcare provider and follow these instructions.
If you have questions related to any of the above-referenced information, please feel free to contact the Academic Affairs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 605-367-5860 or visit Southeast Tech’s Return to Campus webpage. Thank you for helping us mitigate the spread of COVID-19 on campus. We look forward to seeing you in August!