Home > About
Since 1981, Southeast Technical Institute has maintained accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, 312.263.0456.
In December 2006, Southeast Tech was officially accepted into the Higher Learning Commission’s (HLC) Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) pathway for accreditation.
HLC discontinued the AQIP pathway in Summer 2018, and Southeast Tech moved to the Open Pathway. The Open Pathway is a process through which an already-accredited institution in good accreditation standing can maintain accreditation through a series of activities over a 10 year period. The pathway is focused on quality assurance and institutional improvement. The pathway requires the institute to follow a specific accreditation cycle:
- Annually: Submit an Institutional Update to assure federal compliance and identify any changes needing HLC follow up.
- Year 4: Complete an Assurance Review by providing documentation that demonstrates the institute is fulfilling HLC’s Criteria for Accreditation. The materials are reviewed by a peer review team with official action from the Institutional Actions Council (IAC).
- Year 5-9: Undertake a Quality Initiative project focusing on a specific aspect of the institute for improvement. HLC peer reviewers approve the initial project proposal as well as the final report of the project’s outcomes.
- Year 10: Undergo a Comprehensive Evaluation to ensure the institute is meeting the Criteria for Accreditation, pursuing institutional improvement, and complying with certain requirements set by the U.S. Department of Education. The review leads to the Reaffirmation of Accreditation
Southeast Tech’s current AQIP Systems Portfolio and Portfolio Appraisal links are below:
Click here to view Southeast Tech's Systems Portfolio.
Click here to view Southeast Tech’s Systems Appraisal.
The South Dakota Board of Education has approved Southeast Tech to grant the associate of applied science degree, diplomas, and certificates.
Many Southeast Tech programs maintain specialized accreditations
Some of these include:
- The Automotive Technology and Collision Repair Technology programs are certified as Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) programs by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).
National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
101 Blue Seal Drive SE, Suite 101
Leesburg, VA 20175
- The Cardiac Ultrasound, Vascular Ultrasound, Invasive Cardiovascular, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Electroneurodiagnostic Technology, and Surgical Technology programs are accredited by CAAHEP, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
- Licensed Practical Nursing has full approval status from the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
- LPN to RN, AAS program has full approval status from the South Dakota Board of Nursing.
South Dakota Board of Nursing
4305 S Louise Ave, Suite 201
Sioux Falls, SD 57106-3315
- The LPN to RN AAS program is accredited by ACEN (Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing).
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
- Law Enforcement is approved by the South Dakota Law Enforcement Standards and Training Commission.
South Dakota Law Enforcement Officers Standard and Training Commission
1302 E Highway 14, Suite 5
Pierre, SD 57501
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration is accredited through the HVAC Excellence Accreditation program.
HVAC Excellence Programmatic Accreditation
1701 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20006
- The Pharmacy Technician program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP)
7272 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
135 S LaSalle St, Suite 4100
Chicago, IL 60603-4810
- The Phlebotomy Technician program is accredited by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP).
American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
33 W Monroe St, Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60603