Classes Begin Next Week
Aug. 8, 2020
Dear Southeast Tech Students,
We are extremely excited for classes to begin next week. In preparation for your arrival on campus, we have made a number of changes to help keep our campus community healthy and safe this fall.
To minimize the spread of the COVID-19 virus on campus, we have installed signage and visual cues across campus to encourage social distancing. We have added plexiglass barriers in office areas to minimize virus transmission, and we have installed new hand sanitizing stations as well as temperature kiosks to allow you to quickly check your temperature as you enter campus buildings. We have also worked to enhance our cleaning protocols, which includes the purchase of sanitizing foggers that can thoroughly disinfect a classroom or office within a few hours. We are also adjusting our HVAC systems to double air exchanges in our campus buildings to improve ventilation in offices, classrooms, and labs.
Please remember that Southeast Tech is requiring the use of face masks by all faculty, staff, students, and visitors on campus. Face masks, handwashing, and social distancing are the best approaches to reducing the potential spread of the coronavirus. If you have not done so already, I strongly encourage you to check out our web site for more information on all of our pandemic planning. https://www.southeasttech.edu/coronavirus/returning-to-campus.php
Self-monitoring your health daily is key to keeping our campus safe. COVID-19 symptoms include the following:
- Elevated temperature of 100.4 or higher
- Cough or shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Loss of sense of taste or smell
- Chills, muscle aches, headaches, diarrhea or a sore throat
- Close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 (Close contact is defined as being within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before the person began feeling sick until the time the infected person was isolated).
If you are displaying COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, please take the following actions:
- Do not come to the Southeast Tech campus. If you are on campus, return home.
- Inform Southeast Technical College by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 605-367-5688.
- The Southeast Tech Registrar’s Office ensures the college’s compliance to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) in regards to the COVID-19 situation. You can read the U.S. Department of Education’s guidance on FERPA and the Coronavirus Disease.
- Email your Southeast Tech instructors to let them know you won’t be in attendance (you are not required to disclose your health situation).
- Contact your healthcare provider for further guidance and/or the South Dakota COVID-19 Information Line at 1-800-997-2880.
Please follow the guidance provided by your healthcare provider or any instructions you receive from the South Dakota Department of Health. Kristie Vortherms, our Registrar and Director of Student Success, will work with you and the Department of Health to determine when you may return to campus. To assist you with any COVID related questions as to when to come to campus, we have developed a list of guidelines attached to this email for your review. The information will also be available on our web site.
Thank you for choosing Southeast Technical College to help you achieve your educational and career goals. We are working hard to make sure you have both a healthy and high-quality learning experience this fall semester.
Please stay safe and stay healthy!Bob Griggs
Previous Student Communications