As a part of your financial aid verification process, Southeast Tech must verify to the federal government that the 2018 tax information you provided on your 2020-2021 FAFSA is accurate. There are several ways that this information can be provided. To determine which methods you are eligible for, review your original email. If your verified tax information has a single asterick (*) behind it, you must use one of the options below.
Provide a copy of your 2018 Tax Return. Federal guidelines require that copies provided to the Financial Aid Office must be signed by the tax filer. On joint returns, a signature from ONE of the tax filers is required.
Provide a copy of your 2018 IRS Tax Return Transcript. This document can be obtained from the IRS using one fo the options listed below.
How Do I Obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript?
First, try to obtain your transcript online.What You Need:To register and use this service, you need:
What You Get:
- Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from your latest tax return,
- Access to your email account,
- Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and
A mobile phone with your name on the account.
- All transcript types are available online.
- View, print or download your transcript.
Username and password to return later.
If you successfully create an account on the IRS website using the Get Transcripts Online option, you will have access to many documents that you can print immediately. The most common document needed for financial aid verification purposes is the Tax Return Transcript. Be sure to print the document for the correct tax year.
Request by Mail
If you are unable to obtain your tax return transcript online, you can request the document by mail.What You Need:To use this service, you need your:
What You Get:
- SSN or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN),
- Date of Birth, and
- Mailing address from your latest tax return.
- Return or Account transcript types delivered by mail.
- Transcripts arrive in 5-10 business days at the address the IRS has on file for you.
If you successfully request documents to be mailed, you will see a message stating that your request has been accepted and you will receive your tax return transcript via U.S. mail within 5-10 business days. If unsuccessful, you will be given further options for acquiring the required information.
How to Submit Documents to Southeast Tech:
Include the front and back of all pages, and fax to 605-367-8305.