Merrel teaches CIS Networking with a specialization in Cisco’s CCNA curriculum. He began teaching at Southeast Tech in 1998. He has a master's degree in kinesiology-physiology with an emphasis in exercise physiology from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He holds five publications in exercise science in refereed journals and has presented at state and local conferences. He has accrued extensive industry experience, having:
• Worked at Gateway computers for 1994-1997
• Connecting Point Computers 1997-1998
• Cisco Regional Academy Director since 2002
• Director AITP state competition for networking
• Taught many K-12 and post-secondary instructors on Cisco’s CCNA curriculum
Merrel was honored as the 1992 Dell Rapids, HS Coach of the Year. He has coached many youth sports teams since 1995.
Regarding his teaching philosophy, he states, "I believe that it is a teacher's role
to facilitate the learning and success of our students. I support and encourage students
to reach their full potential.
Merrel has been the Cisco Regional Academy director at Southeast Tech since 2002.
Education: MPE, University of Nebraska-Lincoln; BA, Augustana College; Doctoral work in Adult Education at University of South Dakota.